The potential for driving conditions to become an issue increases greatly during the winter. As such, the UK Government has urged drivers to ‘make time for winter’ to avoid motoring problems and to stay safe during severe weather.
Breaking down is never a pleasant experience – especially if you have to wait for a recovery in the cold.
You’ll also want your vehicle to be in the best condition to handle difficult driving conditions in severe weather.
This handy reminder for pre-journey checks is called the ‘POWDERY’ checklist:
- petrol (or diesel) – don’t run out of fuel
- oil – check levels once a month
- water – check radiator and screenwash once a month
- damage – check wipers, lights etc for signs of wear and tear or damage
- electrics – check lights, indicators and controls are working properly
- rubber – are your tyres well inflated, legal, with good tread and free from damage?
- yourself – are you fit to drive? – have you slept well? – are you taking any medication(s) that could make it unsafe for you to drive?
Carry an emergency kit
Keep these items in your vehicle from the start of winter, you never know when you might need them.
- an ice scraper and de-icer
- a torch and spare batteries – or a wind-up torch
- warm clothes and blankets – for you and all passengers
- first aid kit
- jump leads
- a shovel
- road atlas
- sunglasses (the low winter sun and glare off snow can be dazzling)
Click here for the full article.
Getting On ‘The Right Road’
Whatever your level of driving experience Surrey Driving Force can offer driving lessons in Surrey to suit you. From driving tests to refresher courses, our friendly and experienced instructors will help you to achieve your goal quickly and affordably.
- Competitive rates
- Friendly, patient and fully qualified Driving Instructors
- Test success in as few lessons as possible
- Convenient pick-ups from home, work or school
- New, air-conditioned, dual control cars
- Reduced driving lesson prices when you block book
- Driving lessons seven days a week
As Well As Surrey Driving Lessons We Offer:
- Intensive Courses
- Mock Practical Tests
- Pass Plus
- Motorway Driving Training
- Refresher Training
- Taxi Driver Training
- Advanced Driver Training
- ADI Training – ADI Part 1, ADI Part 2, ADI Part 3
Theory Test Pro – FREE!
Surrey Driving Force students have full access to premium content via Theory Test Pro whilst learning with us. This is a great resource and really helps our students pass their theory test first time. It’s also available as a free app to download on iPhone or Android, where again you can access the premium content.